For a long time, I’ve wanted to ask if I’m the only one who has seen the 80′s flick “Just One of the Guys.” And is there anyone else who’s seen this movie more than once? More than a dozen times? More times than “Teen Witch?”
Because if you spent significant time between the years 1987 and 1994 being a complete couch potato, then you know that “Just One of the Guys” was on basic cable in heavy, heavy rotation. As much as I wouldn’t have admitted it, I think this movie about a high school girl who dresses as a guy to win a newspaper internship has helped shape me as a woman. That’s why I though it was so cool that Jezebel recently re-reviewed this piece of dubious film making in a recent post sub-titled An 80′s Stealth Feminist Sex Comedy. Furthermore, they chatted with the director, who made the film with complete pro-woman purpose. (Click over to that second link to view the famous balls scene. And the famous scene, “it’s okay, he’s got tits” which is NSFBasic Cable.)
Because of this movie, I learned:
- A pretty girl can possibly have a brain.
- Fish like french bread pizza
- All balls itch. It’s a fact.
- Mr. Perfect is better when he’s Mr. History.
- The refrigerator gives new meaning to the word “empty.”
- You can fix a broken earring with an eraser.
- Vonnegut is best read in the bubble bath.
- And probably numerous other lessons that I’m not thinking of at this exact moment, but hope you will remember and leave in the comments, because I’m no longer willing to live in a world where I’m the only one who knows and loves this movie.
Now pardon me while I go dance to James Brown.